• Ecclesia: A called-out company or assembly of specific people.
• If God calls you to do something, He will provide everything you need to do it. God has called you to whatever you are doing. If you are a parent, you are called to that. If you are a husband or wife, you are called to that. Whatever your job is at the moment, that is what you are called to do. Just go with that and God will open other doors for what you are called to do.
• It is important to know that you have been chosen and that we are all pursuing the same thing. What we are pursuing is fellowship with each other, but also fellowship with Christ.
• Fellowship: A friendly association, especially with people who share the same interests; a group of people meeting to pursue a shared interest or aim.
• Look at the commonality in people, not what divides you.
• Fellowship is important because that is how we reach people.
All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper), and to prayer.
— Acts 2:42 NLT
• What are some of the characteristics of a new testament church?
Good teaching — It will be a vibrant, growing organism when it is good teaching. Good teaching is keeping the Word in context, it is not about seeing how loud you can during the teaching, it’s not about rituals. Spirit-led teaching and Spirit-led fellowship is what causes churches to thrive. Where churches don’t thrive is because things are done in religion and because they have always been done a certain way. Teaching is getting in the Word and getting something fresh.
• Fellowship, doing life together — We should be the same person in the world as we are in church.
A deep sense of awe came over them all, and the apostles performed many miraculous signs and wonders. And all the believers met together in one place and shared everything they had.
— Acts 2-43-44 NLT
• A characteristic of the early church was that they were in awe of God. If you want a better, more fulfilling life, get in awe of God. When you think about your children or what God has blessed you with, or the health or wealth you enjoy, be enthroned and in awe of what God has done. Be in wonder of what He is going to do — the best is yet to come. Have respect and admiration for each other and for God.
• Miracles, signs and wonders — these are New Testament traits. Some people think that a miracle is something big, like someone being raised from the dead. There are many miracles happening everyday. Sometimes, things that happen in our lives can be miracles.
• Be very careful how you react or respond when things happen. Sometimes, we think of things as a “no,” when it might actually be an answer to prayer.
• You can’t count on circumstances, and don’t let other things dictate what you believe.
• If the Word says something, and you know it says something, that is what you believe. Don’t let someone’s teachings filter what the Word of God says.
They sold their property and possessions and shared the money with those in need. They worshiped together at the Temple each day, met in homes for the Lord’s Supper, and shared their meals with great joy and generosity
— Acts 2-45-46 NLT
• Some other characteristics of a New Testament church — compassion, worshipful, fellowship, joy and generosity.
• If someone is not preaching salvation through Jesus Christ, they are not a church.
• One of the biggest ways people get deceived and duped is under the guise of tolerance.
All the while praising God and enjoying the goodwill of all the people. And each day the Lord added to their fellowship those who were being saved.
— Acts 2-47 NLT
• The natural and supernatural result of continuous praise, unmistakable camaraderie, and increase is what God has in mind for us.
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! … For there the Lord commanded the blessing— Life forevermore.
— Psalm 133:1, 3
• The moment we say, “I don’t believe that,” we qualify ourselves not to receive.
• The person who tells you not to listen to a certain message or a certain thing, listen closely to the Holy Spirit, because that may be the enemy trying to trip you up from getting to the truth.
• Ask yourself if you believe that God can do anything and do you believe He will do it for you. Then pray from that platform of faith. Then don’t ask God to do something, thank Him for doing it. Believe you receive when you pray, not when it shows up.
The fellowship of the church is simply this: Loving God, loving people and serving both.