• Fellowship — A friendly association, especially with people who share the same interest; a group of people meeting to pursue a shared interest or aim.
• We all have a common goal — to fellowship with God and one another. That is our purpose. That is why we assemble.
• We assemble to learn things that will help us to live a life that will reach others and make them want to come into the Kingdom. We should always be compelling people, not repelling people.
• Ecclesia — in the Greek means church; a called out company or assembly of specific people. You are not just in church — God has called you to church. When you are called to something, you will stick with it.
• Sometimes in life, with the things you are called to, there will be resistance. We don’t focus on the resistance, we focus on the victory.
But you are not like that, for you are a chosen people. You are royal priests, a holy nation, God’s very own possession. As a result, you can show others the goodness of God, for he called you out of the darkness into his wonderful light.
— 1 Peter 2:9 NLT
• The church is not a building. The church is the people that God called into the Body.
• What is the first purpose of the church? So we can show the goodness of God to others. Let everything you do show the goodness of God. God is good all of the time, but it doesn’t mean we will have a trouble-free life.
• Prosperity can be a hurdle for some people. Money is not the root of all evil — the love of money is. The problem is not money, the attitude with the money is the issue. If you can’t let money go, it has a hold on you.
We proclaim to you what we ourselves have actually seen and heard so that you may have fellowship with us. And our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son, Jesus Christ.
— 1 John 1:3
• What is the second purpose of the church? We are called to fellowship with the Lord individually and corporately. Church is not a Sunday thing, it is an everyday thing. We celebrate with Christ the things that He has done in our life.
• There is something very powerful that happens when we assemble corporately. We have been called to meet together.
And so, dear brothers and sisters, we can boldly enter heaven’s Most Holy Place because of the blood of Jesus. By his death, Jesus opened a new and life-giving way through the curtain into the Most Holy Place.
• You will never function in that new and life-giving way if you operate under the law. The law says “I have to,” grace says “I get to.” The law says that you better do everything perfectly, God says “You better receive what I have already done.”
• We are more subject to repent and change our mind when we experience the love of God than we are hearing repeated messages telling us how rotten we are.
• The Bible says that the law kills, but the Spirit gives life. If you don’t believe the law kills, try to walk in it.