The Fellowship of the Church
August 19, 2018
• God will give you wisdom when you are looking for it. There are so many good things God can give us if we open ourselves up to receive them. He wants good for you.
• Ecclesia: A called-out company or assembly of specific people.
• Fellowship: A friendly association, especially with people who share the same interests; a group of people meeting to pursue a shared interest or aim.
All the believers devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching, and to fellowship, and to sharing in meals (including the Lord’s Supper, and to prayer.
— Acts 2:42 NLT
Is there any encouragement from belonging to Christ? Any comfort from his love? Any fellowship together in the Spirit? Are your hearts tender and compassionate? Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one mind and purpose.
— Philippians 2:1-2 NLT
• When you serve and do it with gladness, it probably speaks as loud as anything you do for the Lord. It encourages others.
• We go through battles, but those who know Christ have the victory.
• Our compassion should always bring positive change in someone’s life.
Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too. You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had.
— Philippians 2:3-5 NLT
• It doesn’t matter what you own, it does not define who you are. We put our faith in Jesus, not in things or in other people.
• Part of our human DNA is to be prideful and selfish. How to we walk in humility? Hang out with Jesus. We can’t walk in humility without first walking with Him. True humility is being submitted to God.
• Take a real, personal interest in others. “Mentor” means to take a personal interest in someone.
Life lesson: When we devote ourselves to the Lord, to the Word and to each other, we will fulfill our purpose and experience true fellowship.