The Leading of the Spirit
Sept. 2, 2018
• If we will understand what Jesus said about the Spirit and what the apostles walked in with the Spirit, we can be Spirit-filled Christians and be biblically based and enjoy the life that God intended for us.
• The Spirit is not to take things from you, the Spirit adds things that God already gave you and highlights them. The Spirit brings things to your remembrance that you should be doing and the things you can walk into, but without the Spirit, you can’t.
• When you are moved by the Spirit of God and the Word of God backs up your movement, you can’t go wrong. It will work every time. It is the true power of God residing in you.
For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God.
— Romans 8:14
• We can’t feel like God’s children unless we are responding to Him.
• When you get understanding from the Word, and then when you allow the Holy Spirit to minister to you and you minister back and you communicate with Him, it’s amazing what God can do.
“But now I am going away to the one who sent me, and not one of you is asking where I am going. Instead, you grieve because of what I’ve told you.
— John 16:5-6 NLT
But in fact, it is best for you that I go away, because if I don’t, the Advocate won’t come. If I do go away, then I will send him to you.
— John 16:5-6 NLT
• An advocate is one who speaks for you. The Holy Spirit not only speaks through us, but also on our behalf. He will speak what we need to hear in every situation. We just need to listen.
• Some words for the Holy Spirit — friend, comforter, helper, guide. Think about what God can do in your life when you allow Him to be a friend, comforter, helper and guide.
And when he comes, he will convict the world of its sin, and of God’s righteousness, and of the coming judgment.
— John 16:8 NLT
• The Holy Spirit convicts, or convinces, the world of sin and the believer of righteousness. The devil does just the opposite — he tells the world their are doing OK and tries to convince the believer that they are just an old sinner saved by grace. That is not God’s picture of righteousness.
• Natural disasters are not God’s judgment.
The world’s sin is that it refuses to believe in me. Righteousness is available because I go to the Father, and you will see me no more. Judgment will come because the ruler of this world has already been judged. “There is so much more I want to tell you, but you can’t bear it now. When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own but will tell you what he has heard. He will tell you about the future.
— John 16-9-13
• By default, we came into this world as sinners. We have to make a decision not to be a sinner.
If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
— Galatians 5:25 NKJV
Life Lesson: As believers, we have the Holy Spirit to lead us, convince us of our right standing with Jesus, guide us in truth and show us things to come.
• Fortunetellers are the world’s counterfeit of what God intended for the believer. The devil finds people with the gift of prophecy and he distorts it.